Monday, June 15, 2009

Sweets when you are on a Sugar Fast


Sugar controls me. I crave it after every meal and I can never stop at one bite or even one serving. So I decided it was time to go on a sugar fast. I have still been eating fruit and peanut butter (that is my next hurdle haha) and other things that may have a bit of sugar. But overall, for two weeks we have been doing no treats, no artificial sugars, desserts or afternoon Puppy Chow binges (Jack and I could make a batch in record time). I was so proud that I only had a taste of those pancakes from last week. The boys had syrup and pancakes, I had an egg.

So this evening I looked at my browning bananas and thought about how Banana Pudding sounded nice. I googled low sugar recipes, low fat recipes etc.. I decided it wasn't worth the sugar or the run to the store for pudding, wafers, whipping cream etc.. But I did attempt my own low-sugar "Banana Pudding". My husband I think was expecting something closer to the real thing and thought whipping cream or cool whip was a must "Otherwise its just mashed up bananas" But to me I thought it was a great low-sugar, whole food, alternative to the fake pudding and cookies.

Here is the idea:

3 Bananas
1 cup yogurt (mine was plain but I bet vanilla would be best)
1 cup milk


Blend in the blender

2 packets of Knox gelatin
1 cup hot, hot water


Whisk quickly to dissolve gelatin. Then pour in the blender and blend with the banana mix.

Pour into serving bowls, cover with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for an hour or two until it jiggles a bit.

Meanwhile, take about 3 cups of some semi- sweet variety of cereal (Mine was Special K Almonds) and crush finely. Top the "puddings" with crushed cereal.

If you have whipping cream you can serve it with some sweetened whipping cream.

The gelatin will make it like a pudding- but don't worry its not like Jell-o.

I think the idea could work with a bunch of different fruits. Can you think of a good combination?

Here is what else I have been doing with those bananas, sweet, dairy free, protien and omega packed:

1 banana
1 cup frozen berries
3/4 cup oj
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup soaked flaxseed (soak the flaxseed in some water for a couple hours to help release the nutrients)
2 scoops protein powder

Blend and enjoy!

OKAY now for those of you that can control yourselves or you just don't care or you just are so naturally slim it doesn't matter, check out these recipes. Someday I will make and partake:

Jimmy Carter Cake
- chocolatey, peanuty, creamy pudding yum!

Homemade Girl Scout Cookies- Samoas, Thin Mints, Peanut Butter Patties!

Lemon Meringue Pie- Tart!


Chocolate Fudge- Okay drooooool!

1 comment:

Mary | Deep South Dish said...

Hi Holly - thanks so much for the mention!!